Saturday, December 22, 2007

Santa Maria

Hi Hi Hi! I woke up at 4.15 this morning and went to the school and climbed in that same micro bus that took us to the soccer place and went off to Santa Maria, which is a big ol dormant or dead volcano outside the city. We (Amaro the X-guerilla, 8 other students and I) got to the trailhead around 5.45 and headed up the trail. It was still totally dark, but I could make out the mountain in the distance and we werén´t anywhere near it. We hiked uphill for quite a while as the sun rose. We finally got to the base of the mountain which I thought was about 600 feet as we approached it, but it turns out the climb in total was, if I´m not mistaked, over 3000 feet. That´s pretty goddamn huge. We climbed, oh how we did climb and I wasn´t having much difficulty for most of the hike, but towards the top, over 10k feet I was having alot of trouble sustaining a pace because my lungs and heart are like those of a lazy american tourist, but fortunately my NOLS legs are still there. After about 3 hours we reached the top and, good god, the view was amazing. There was a group of tough looking teen boys who apparently camped up there and were leaving as we got there with their machetes. We could look down on Xela and see it blanketed in clouds and the mountains to the right (I don´t know what they´re called) which were flanked on their right by an endless ocean of clouds. On the other side of the volcano was an active volcano that was spewing smoke with varying intensity, but we could hear it erupting from far away and it sounded like an airplane. We hung out for a while and took lots of photos and lay in the short fairway.like grass eating and resting. On our way back down there were lots of campesinos (rural folk) who were hanging out atop the peak. I thought it was real rad how a bunch of peasants casually climb this relatively gigantic mountain to hang out for the day while we gringos struggled a great deal of the way. Good for them. There were also a couple groups of young guys who had run up the mountain and ran down it too. The people here are very hardcore. When we reached the bottom of the mountain we took a rest and unlike some too'cool chicagoans I taught the group how to  play energy ball and everyone enjoyed it greatly and I´m pretty sure they weren´t humoring me. So there!  We got to the trailhead and the microbus had returned. I ran into a tienda and bought a glass bottle of orange crush, which is apparently very popular here as many tiendas have the sign hanging above their door, and a glass bottle of agua mineral. It was only 6 Quetzales which is about 88 cents. Incredibly cheap, but the dude short changed me by 1 Quetzal. I didn´t say nothin´becaus
e I´m sure that dude needs the cash and it wasn´t no time to go into jew'mode. Climbing that mountain was probably one of the most satisfying things I´ve ever done. put that in your virtual skullbong and smoke it.

No comments: