Monday, December 24, 2012

Barcelona III- bike rental

I decided to rent a bike for a few days to see more of the city and give my feet a rest.  There were a ton of bike rentals in the city, all more or less the same.  I found one place that wasn´t especially close to Cris´s place, but they had a couple of cool vintage bikes and some track bikes in the window so I figured they were a better bet than the cookie cutter bici joints.   Keep in mind that the following and all things I write about bike rentals are from the perspective of someone who takes pride in being the No. 1 bike rental guy on Going St.  Anyhow, I went by and dude wasn´t terribly interested in renting me a bike, but did so nonetheless and hooked me up with a total piece of shit cruiser with one of those garbage Shimano derailleurs that you see on only the shittiest bikes that make me cringe whenever I see them.  One of the pedal spindles was bent as well which gets kind of annoying after a minute or two.  I rode around for a bit and then decided I didn´t want to have to keep riding this piece of junk for 5 whole days and returned it later that day before heading to my next couch surf.

When I dropped off the bike and left I saw an old man carrying a bike frame and wheelset  towards me.  It looked like...an ALAN!  Holy shit.  I asked him what he was planning on doing with it and he said he was gonna sell it to the shop where I´d rented a bike.  I looked at it and it had a full Campy Victory group and the whole thing was fuckin´minty.  I asked how much and he said he was asking 400€ for it from the shop, but said he´d take 300€ if he had to.  Obviously out of my price range on this trip and still a good deal for anyone who wanted a piece of aluminum bike history.  Expressing my excitement, I asked him about it and why he was selling it.  He said that he bought it in the 80s and paid a bunch for it and won the European  firefighter´s bike racing championship in the 50-70 year old age bracket.  And now he needed money more than a bike he didn´t ever ride.  As we were standing in the street at a corner a van turned the corner grazing the back of the frame and I clenched my teeth and gasped, ¨dios mio!¨ but all was well and the old man didn´t even blink an eye.  What are the chances of an encounter like that happening???  Put that in your first-generation aluminum skull-bong and smoke it.

No comments: