Monday, December 24, 2012

Barcelona V- CSO La Gordissima

Cris hipped me to a website that kept a schedule of the events going on at the okupas in town.  Some have bike workshops where you can bring your bike and they´ll help you fix yours, in theory.  I finally found one that I could get to called CSO LA GORDISSIMA near Sant Andreu,When I arrived at their ancient, huge building located in a cluster of nice shops, I found only the volunteers of the okupa with their 2 bikes and a bag of wrenches and a couple of bike-specific tools that needed wrenches larger than what they had.  The two guys were really nice and interested in learning what I had to show them as far as adjusting derailleurs, brakes, hubs, etc.  I began to explain in Spanish, and after about 10 minutes realized that one of the volunteers named Guillermo, whose bike I was working on spoke, more or less, perfect English and was working on a PhD in ocean science or something and had taken a scientific cruise out of Astoria this year, which I´m pretty sure my homie Drew D Hill was also involved in.  I tried to show the dudes how to adjust a hub, but they were missing the 13mm cone wrench that was necessary for the job, so it went unadjusted, still crunching up a storm.  I stuck around for a couple of hours talking about how the okupa worked and its history, how it´s there for the use of the community, how it turns into a bar after 8 selling local beers and such. I don´t think local beers means the same thing in Spain as it does in Portland.  Apparently it was initially occupied by three ladies who trashed the top floors which were still trashed and unusable and the owner realised that it´d be more expensive to bring the building up to code (as it´s a historic landmark or something and its maintenance needs to be done in a specific, costly way) than it is to let the okupa do its thing and serve beers to the community.  There was a dude smoking at a table where a baby was sleeping in a stroller.  I guess the surgeon general in Spain has different priorities than does ours (perhaps masturbation promotion).  
Put that in your improperly-adjusted skull-bong and smoke it.

No comments: